The week ahead; Jan18-24
THE WEEK AHEAD Wednesday January 20th with a 6:30 pm spin session at Speed Theory. We start at 6:30 so arrive early enough to set up. Usually this is from 6 onwards. Things you will need include;
- CLEAN bike- if its dirty and dropping grunge everywhere, don't bring it into Speed Theory. Stay outside, clean it, then bring it in. Please ensure your tires are pumped up BEFORE you arrive for set up.
- trainer - no rollers please! And bring your own block for your front wheel!
- bike computer or watch or heart rate monitor
- big towel to go under your trainer to catch sweat, water, lunch, etc.
- little (or big) towel to mop your sweat- and Stan the Elder's if he's next to you
- hydration; bike bottle with energy drink or water
Thursday January 21st we run from Pt Grey Track in Kerrisdale at 6:30 pm. We leave the track to warm up at 6:30 so arrive ready to go at 6:30
- running gear
- digital watch or heart rate monitor
- hydration: bottle with energy drink
- warm clothing for before and after
Saturday January 23rd is an easy bike ride (weather permitting) from Bean Around The World on Cornwall near Maple at 10 am to allow for better visibility and warmer temperatures
- bike WITH fenders
- spare tubes
- frame pump or CO2 cartridges
- water bottles with energy drink and some food to munch on while riding
- winter gear (i.e. for cold weather and wet weather)- especially shoe covers!
Sunday January 24th is swim session number three at Lord Byng Pool, on deck ready to jump in the water at 7:30 am OR 8:45 am based on your group assignment. After the swim we do an easy group run at 10:30. The earlier swim group can go get a snack and return for 10:30- bonus for getting up early.
Please arrive at least 20 min before your session so you can change, get on deck and be there for the pre-workout instructions. Swimmers who show up late disrupt the session for everyone and often have a negative impact on their team mates. Session two swimmers can learn from watching the technique of the earlier session swimmers.
Please be respectful and arrive early (i.e. 7:10-7:15 and 8:20-8:30)!
To make sure we can deliver quality coaching and training environment to everyone, we've split the swim session into two. There will be a early session from 7:30-8:45 and a later session from 8:45-10:00. We've divided the groups as follows;
- can swim 400 m in 7 min or less (1:45/100 m pace)
- have swim 3000+ m in a 60 min practice session before
- know swim drills quite well
- know lane etiquette quite well
- can flip turn most of the time or are willing to learn or can be forced to comply (by peer pressure, ridicule, electro-shock therapy, etc.)
- newer swimmers
- especially those wanting more technique work
- those who have never swam more than 400 m continuously
- those who are unsure what group to attend :-)
- We'll reassign swimmers to the early/late group as necessary for the best coaching dynamics.
Some pool toys you should collect and bring to practice to get the most out of the swim sessions are;
- swim suit, cap and goggles (although some think it unnecessary to state swim suit- we're just being careful for the newbies out there!)
- pull buoy
- strap (don't know what this is? Bring an old bike inner tube and we'll help you make one)
- paddles (small ones please)
- fins (smaller ones for swimming, not the bigger scuba kind!)
- water bottle with energy drink