LETC World's Race report #1

[from LETC's Kristina]

The water was 12.5 degrees and the waves over our heads. That was how my first World Triathlon began.

Here's Roman's footage of the choppy water during the women's swim.


If anything, it only made it that much more exciting!! When I entered the water, it was calm and even during my "warm up swim" it was calm. As soon as we hit the first buoy, I thought a motor boat had just passed.... as we continued the waves got bigger and bigger making breathing and knowing where you were going - extremely difficult. I loved every minute of it! I guess a bunch of the girls got rescued from the swim and the lifeguards refused to allow anyone else to race which resulted in that fact that the men had to change their triathlon into a dualthon (run 3km, bike 40 km, run 10km).

They were not happy. I would take waves over a duathlon any day!

I staggered into shore (literally) dizzy with motion sickness and drinking way too much salt water. Running the 0.5km (well it felt that far) to my NEW bike, I fell over as I tried to pry off my wetsuit with frozen fingers.

Finally I shove my purple feet into my shoes and I am off. I can't feel anything from mid thigh down..... But I have 40 people cheering for me and a ton cheering for Canada so there is NO way that I am going to slow down.

I take 4 laps of the bike course, weaving through girls all over the rode...

I guess they didn't read the rules that we stay to the right in Canada and pass on the left.... But I doesn't matter. Even though the pain is incredible, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be at that moment!

The crowds are fantastic as we scream around every corner. I am loving my new Cervelo R3 - Thanks to Kevin at Bicicletta who was able to set me up with a bike in the last 2 weeks before the race!!

Now it is down to the run. I kept repeating to myself, "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional". This was the last piece of advice I heard from Joanne Fox on our last training ride. I didn't have much left so decided to keep it steady and even for the whole 10km. My plan worked until the last 600m when I got passed by not one but TWO women at once. I looked at their calves and read that they were under 30. So of course, I jumped on both of their tails and promised myself that I would not lose them. As we turned the corner, I heard my name from at least 20 of my Leading Edge Team Mates and I passed both girls. I am now into the last 400m and am determined to keep my lead. As we enter the finishing shoot I hear one of the girls pick

it up. Out of the corner of my eye I see red - another Canadian. As we

sprint to the finish, I grab two Canadian flags, and with one in each hand we battle it to the end. She crosses the line in front of me by a hair and the day I have training for since February is finally over. I finished in a time of 2:17:30, 35th out of 82 women ages 30 to 34.

Thank you to everyone who came out to support me. It was a fantastic day made special only because you were there to cheer on me and the rest of Canada in the sport we love.


race resultsAlan