For those preparing for the ITU Worlds June 7, or simply a desire to work extra hard, this Saturday's workout is a combo bike-run in Stanley Park. Please arrive at Second Beach by 8 am warmed up and ready to go, not unpacking your gear around 8...
The workout format is 3-5 x 10 km bike at your 40 km pace followed by a 1500-3600 m run on 5 min rest. One option is to run after every second bike loop if you feel good about your bike-run transitions. You can run as long or as short as you like, ideally you should aim for one complete loop of the ITU Worlds course so you know what's coming your way on race day.
Suggested combo formats are;
- 10 km bike then Lost Lagoon out and back section of run to pay parking kiosk by Second Beach (~1500 m)
- 10 km bike then uphill and along Beach then out and back on Heron Crap Avenue, return along bike path down hill to pay parking kiosk by Second Beach (~2000 m)
- 10 km bike then same run as #1 with uphill through a parking lot, over to bike path and back to pay parking kiosk by Second Beach (~2500 m)
- 10 km bike then uphill through a parking lot, over to bike path, return to do same run as #1 and back to pay parking kiosk by Second Beach (~2500 m)
- 10 km bike then full run loop (~3600 m)
Please note this is an uncoached but facilitated workout, so plan accordingly. You may have to leave your bike in your car while running unless a seriously significant other looking to score a "you owe me big time" card shows up to watch...